Tesla Owners Online Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

· Super Moderator
5,741 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would think this news will increase profits a bit more. I don't see this car in basic white, just not my thing at all, it will look cheap. Basic white is the color of fleet vehicles. I have a black one and would have paid the $1000 for it, but never for basic white. I figure this will drive more paint upgrades.

Interestingly enough - mentions that black will now be the same price as Silver. I know silver is supposed to be off menu, but heard you couldn't really get it. Could it be coming back?

· Registered
116 Posts
I would think this news will increase profits a bit more. I don't see this car in basic white, just not my thing at all, it will look cheap. Basic white is the color of fleet vehicles. I have a black one and would have paid the $1000 for it, but never for basic white. I figure this will drive more paint upgrades.

Interestingly enough - mentions that black will now be the same price as Silver. I know silver is supposed to be off menu, but heard you couldn't really get it. Could it be coming back?

I assume he was referring to Midnight Silver Metallic, which is a $1,000 upcharge for a new Model 3.

· Registered
21 Posts
I'm not sure the first thing people think when see a pearl white multi Model 3 is 'fleet car':p. Personally, I've always liked white cars(especially with tinted windows). Our Camry is like that and I still like to look back and admire it after I park. Now I won't have to pay extra for a color I like(yes, I know...not a 'pearl')!

· Super Moderator
5,741 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm not sure the first thing people think when see a pearl white multi Model 3 is 'fleet car':p. Personally, I've always liked white cars(especially with tinted windows). Our Camry is like that and I still like to look back and admire it after I park. Now I won't have to pay extra for a color I like(yes, I know...not a 'pearl')!
I don't think they do with multi coat white either. Basic white is not the same in any manner though.

Reactions: FRC

· Super Moderator
5,741 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I assume he was referring to Midnight Silver Metallic, which is a $1,000 upcharge for a new Model 3.
He could have, but he didn't say MSM, he said silver. I don't think he would have confused the two.

Reactions: MrbagoUSHistory

· Premium Member
2019 Tesla M3P
3,097 Posts
As wrapping vehicles has become more prevalent and popular, I can’t imagine this would impact sales at all. Then again, I can’t see this helping the bottom line much either.

· Super Moderator
5,741 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
As wrapping vehicles has become more prevalent and popular, I can't imagine this would impact sales at all. Then again, I can't see this helping the bottom line much either.
Wrapping is more prevalent than ever, but I'm guessing (on the high end) that less than 5% of them are really wrapped. If 285,000 Model 3's have been built/sold - how many do you really think are wrapped? At 5%, that would be 14,250 are wrapped. I think that is way high. I bet less than 1% have been wrapped.

However, if you use that number of 14,250 are wrapped, this means that more than 270,000 purchasers have bought the color of car they will see and drive every day. Black has been popular and there are a ton of them on the road with no extra charge by Tesla for that color. There are a lot of multi coat whites as well, but at a $1500 premium for most of them.

There are a number of people that will buy a basic white car, but I believe it will be significantly less than the number that have bought black. More will be choosing a color and that will translate to very good profit for Tesla.

Reactions: Mr. Spacely and FRC

· Premium Member
1,893 Posts
Just for a historical note, the Model S at one time had two free color options, black or white. And there have been periods of time when there was also an upgraded version of each with a cost: obsidian black or pearl white multi-coat. Sometimes these options have co-existed with the basic version.

One thing constant with Tesla is that they will always change things. I had just been recently thinking that I expect some changes in color options but I in no way foresaw this particular change.

· Registered
4,302 Posts
One thing constant with Tesla is that they will always change things. I had just been recently thinking that I expect some changes in color options but I in no way foresaw this particular change.
I did. White is been a much more popular color than black, so I guess Tesla decided to save those who favor it some money.

· Registered
508 Posts
I believe that he was just abbreviating Midnight Silver...

He could have, but he didn't say MSM, he said silver. I don't think he would have confused the two.

· Registered
1,315 Posts
I believe that he was just abbreviating Midnight Silver...
Sure. But why even mention "silver" in the first place? Or why not use "midnight silver" or "blue" to avoid any confusion?

Elon likes to tease.

· Registered
239 Posts
Silver is in the name though. fwiw it would be nice to have silver back, i thought it was a great color and showed the body lines the best.

The most popular color for cars are Black, then White and Silver. The order of those changes by article, but they're usually the top three.

I consider MSM to be gun metal blue, maybe it's the bright white LED's in the garage or just direct sunlight? In shade it's very "grey".

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.