Tesla Owners Online Forum banner
41 - 60 of 65 Posts

· Registered
555 Posts
Hi all
I have the wiring version Rev-01
Can I install a boombox?
I'm not sure you are looking at the right wiring harness, but yes, you can retrofit the PWS on your car if it's for the US market.

· Registered
2 Posts
Я не уверен, что вы ищете правильный жгут проводов, но да, вы можете модернизировать PWS на своем автомобиле, если он предназначен для рынка США.
Спасибо.
Автомобиль для рынка США. Какой жгут проводов искать?

· Registered
555 Posts
[ЦИТАТА="android04, сообщение: 347166, участник: 9555"]
Я не уверен, что вы ищете правильный жгут проводов, но да, вы можете модернизировать PWS на своем автомобиле, если он предназначен для рынка США.
[/ЦИТИРОВАТЬ]
Спасибо.
Автомобиль для рынка США. Какой жгут проводов искать?
Ok, your car is from North America. What year is it? If it's older and does not already have the wires for the speaker in front of the right front tire area, you will have to run your own two wires from behind the passenger kick panel. Your biggest problem is that Tesla will not activate the feature for you, but if you have access to Toolbox you can probably do it yourself.

I was also mistaken when I said you might not be looking at the right wiring harness. Your are in the right area, just fine the white and grey wires to tap into.

· Registered
12 Posts
Ok, your car is from North America. What year is it? If it's older and does not already have the wires for the speaker in front of the right front tire area, you will have to run your own two wires from behind the passenger kick panel. Your biggest problem is that Tesla will not activate the feature for you, but if you have access to Toolbox you can probably do it yourself.

I was also mistaken when I said you might not be looking at the right wiring harness. Your are in the right area, just fine the white and grey wires to tap into.
i never knew you could gain access to pws using toolbox

· Registered
555 Posts
i never knew you could gain access to pws using toolbox
I don't have any personal experience with doing it, but I was assuming you could. A lot of salvaged Teslas seem to end up in Eastern Europe and they have figured out ways to work on them and repair them. I'm assuming they would have Toolbox or a similar tool that can be used to turn on Boombox and PWS. All Model 3 can do PWS, even the 2017 models that came out years before PWS was added. If you splice into the two appropriate wires and connect a speaker, then reboot the infotainment screen, the PWS system will work until the car goes to sleep. It takes Tesla (or access to Toolbox?) to permanently turn on the PWS and Boombox features by changing a software configuration.

· Registered
12 Posts
I don't have any personal experience with doing it, but I was assuming you could. A lot of salvaged Teslas seem to end up in Eastern Europe and they have figured out ways to work on them and repair them. I'm assuming they would have Toolbox or a similar tool that can be used to turn on Boombox and PWS. All Model 3 can do PWS, even the 2017 models that came out years before PWS was added. If you splice into the two appropriate wires and connect a speaker, then reboot the infotainment screen, the PWS system will work until the car goes to sleep. It takes Tesla (or access to Toolbox?) to permanently turn on the PWS and Boombox features by changing a software configuration.
might have to reconsider reinstalling the speaker now, but i gotta find someone with access to toolbox

· Registered
12 Posts
4th times a charm? i installed the speaker back onto my 2018 model 3, scheduled a mobile service saying i just installed it and need activation. They approved it and on the invoice it says software update goodwill. Now will it go through once they arrive? who knows but its closer than i've gotten before which was a straight up NO

· Registered
555 Posts
4th times a charm? i installed the speaker back onto my 2018 model 3, scheduled a mobile service saying i just installed it and need activation. They approved it and on the invoice it says software update goodwill. Now will it go through once they arrive? who knows but its closer than i've gotten before which was a straight up NO
They should be able to activate it remotely. Let them know when the car will be parked for a while so they can remote in and change the configuration.

· Banned
1,443 Posts
I am concerned even if you’re successful in getting it activated, the next update will break it. And it is insane the Tesla is putting you through this when you’re trying to make your car and pedestrians safer. Another reason having proprietary service and DC charging it’s going to be a huge problem for Tesla owners in the future

· Registered
555 Posts
I am concerned even if you’re successful in getting it activated, the next update will break it. And it is insane the Tesla is putting you through this when you’re trying to make your car and pedestrians safer. Another reason having proprietary service and DC charging it’s going to be a huge problem for Tesla owners in the future
If Tesla activates Boombox for them, it will not break on the next update because it will be permanent. If they DIY through Toolbox it might.

· Banned
1,443 Posts
If Tesla activates Boombox for them, it will not break on the next update because it will be permanent. If they DIY through Toolbox it might.
i have never seen an update Break things that previously worked. They disabled most of the functionality of all boomboxes with over an “update”. This is probably the best example of older models with older hardare and sensors will be left behind, FSD is just a fantasy. The boombox showed tesla doesn’t really care that much about safety or their existing install base. They haven’t been able to sell this as an upgrade in 3 years, but Robotaxis are around the corner.

the reason I feel my 2018 only has the bracket, is at the time I felt the government discussing about pws was viewed as an ice car manufacturers plot to make quiet cars noisy. The reality is EV are dangerous to pedestrians in parking lots. i have been behind many people walking down the center of a parking lot lane and not realize I was behind them. Every time they felt embarrassed as they were not trying to block the lane.

Tesla doesn’t need you and they expect the same.

Ps. my back still hurts from no lumbar. I wonder where I could get a good massage, without horse trading,

· Registered
555 Posts
well they finally activated it for me, but now i missed out on having those other functions the no funers took away
Yeah, I'm also bummed out that I retrofitted the wiring and speaker (and I actually paid $140 for Tesla to activate it remotely) and then a few months later the NHTSA made Tesla remove the fun features. The fun features of Boombox were the whole reason I did the retrofit.

· Registered
12 Posts
Yeah, I'm also bummed out that I retrofitted the wiring and speaker (and I actually paid $140 for Tesla to activate it remotely) and then a few months later the NHTSA made Tesla remove the fun features. The fun features of Boombox were the whole reason I did the retrofit.
yeah oh well, i guess i only spent $65 on the speaker so its not so bad. Plus i still have megaphone to mess around with people.

· Registered
2 Posts
Is there anyone in the Fort Worth or Dallas area that can either assist me or do the PWS wiring installation and speaker installation for me? I know there are some Tech savvy folks out there in DFW that may have already done this and I would be willing to pay for their labor/time. I on the SW side of Fort Worth / Benbrook area. 12/18 Model 3 MR

· Registered
3 Posts
Purchasing a 2018 model 3 performance next week.
Am I understanding correctly that I can just tap into those wires that are at the bottom passenger side run generic two wires, all the way down to where the speaker would be and just purchase a Tesla speaker, and will function as the PWS?
The biggest problem would be having the service center reconfig the car for a PWS hardware with boombox?

· Registered
555 Posts
Purchasing a 2018 model 3 performance next week.
Am I understanding correctly that I can just tap into those wires that are at the bottom passenger side run generic two wires, all the way down to where the speaker would be and just purchase a Tesla speaker, and will function as the PWS?
The biggest problem would be having the service center reconfig the car for a PWS hardware with boombox?
You are correct. You don't even have to buy the Tesla PWS speaker (your car's front valance panel won't have the speaker grille or mounting holes for it) and can use any marine speaker instead. If you do get the Tesla PWS speaker (or choose to use a marine speaker) you will have to figure out how to mount it in the frunk area so it plays the sound down or towards the wheel wells. The hard part might be running the two wires from the passenger footwell area into the frunk area, but there is a giant rubber grommet in the footwell that you can run it through. Then you will have to make a service appointment in the app to have Tesla enable Boombox remotely. If you are lucky, they will do it for free. If not, they will charge you for it. I did the retrofit on my 2018 back when we had more fun functionality, but now that Tesla was forced to remove the fun stuff I wouldn't do the retrofit.

· Registered
3 Posts
You are correct. You don't even have to buy the Tesla PWS speaker (your car's front valance panel won't have the speaker grille or mounting holes for it) and can use any marine speaker instead. If you do get the Tesla PWS speaker (or choose to use a marine speaker) you will have to figure out how to mount it in the frunk area so it plays the sound down or towards the wheel wells. The hard part might be running the two wires from the passenger footwell area into the frunk area, but there is a giant rubber grommet in the footwell that you can run it through. Then you will have to make a service appointment in the app to have Tesla enable Boombox remotely. If you are lucky, they will do it for free. If not, they will charge you for it. I did the retrofit on my 2018 back when we had more fun functionality, but now that Tesla was forced to remove the fun stuff I wouldn't do the retrofit.
Cool, plan on just purchasing the Tesla oem speaker off eBay. Could you just Dremel cut the bottom of the splash shield and put it in the position that comes from factory? Not sure how to affix it. Maybe just screws and thouse metal tabs they use for the wheel well cover?
And would still need a grill of some sort?
Is there a oem harness that could be used to run from that spot to the speaker? Or any wire would do? Would like to keep it as OEM as possible.

· Registered
555 Posts
Cool, plan on just purchasing the Tesla oem speaker off eBay. Could you just Dremel cut the bottom of the splash shield and put it in the position that comes from factory? Not sure how to affix it. Maybe just screws and thouse metal tabs they use for the wheel well cover?
And would still need a grill of some sort?
Is there a oem harness that could be used to run from that spot to the speaker? Or any wire would do? Would like to keep it as OEM as possible.
Any two wires will do, you can use wire from the hardware store or auto parts store. Or if you have speaker wire you can use that. For mounting the speaker, just trace where the speaker would go on the front plastic valance and drill the 3 holes for mounting. Use 3 small bolts and nylon lock nuts to mount the speaker. Just drill a bunch of holes in between the mounting points for the speaker grille.

41 - 60 of 65 Posts