Tesla Owners Online Forum banner
61 - 65 of 65 Posts

· Registered
12 Posts
Cool, plan on just purchasing the Tesla oem speaker off eBay. Could you just Dremel cut the bottom of the splash shield and put it in the position that comes from factory? Not sure how to affix it. Maybe just screws and thouse metal tabs they use for the wheel well cover?
And would still need a grill of some sort?
Is there a oem harness that could be used to run from that spot to the speaker? Or any wire would do? Would like to keep it as OEM as possible.
you might get lucky and they'll activate it for you or they might just say no and you'll keep trying like i did and got it the 4th time on a mobile appt

· Registered
3 Posts
Ok for anyone out there with a Pre-July 19' Model 3 that wants Boombox this is how I got mine installed and activated. I'm not responsible for damage you may cause installing this or Voided Warranty. Make sure your car is fully powered down before attempting this install (via 12v and high voltage disconnect) There are some things you need to look for on your car also such as if you have the wires under the dash to connect to and if your car has the speaker grille under the right front of the lower splash guard. If you have these 2 things then you need a Tesla service tech to toggle the configuration change I found mobile service tech. was happy to do this for me thankfully, however your results may vary. The parts needed to install this are: Tesla Pedestrian Warning Speaker : # 1299965-00-A (I paid $55.00 from Tesla) Screws to attach the Speaker : # 1128091-00-B (x3) Connector for Pedestrian Speaker : # PT3703 Pigtail (GM Part Number) Enough wire to run from RF Kick Panel to Front Bumper Area View attachment 41033 First you have to find the wires from the MCU that were supposed to power the speaker and easily located them under the passenger side kick panel in a twisted pair going to a connector higher up under the dash View attachment 41034 as you can see my harness was built February of 2019 putting it well below the cut off for native Boombox/speaker install per Tesla. View attachment 41030 I installed Taps to splice the wires needed you can use any method you would like just be sure they are insulted from each other and can't short View attachment 41031 The twisted gray and white wires are the wires for PWS my harness had these all the way up to a connector then stopped there. Note : the white wire is positive and gray is negative View attachment 41032 The black connector the wires stop at. View attachment 41038 View attachment 41039 View attachment 41037 Once I had tapped the wires I carefully ran them through the rubber grommet and inside a wire loom on the passenger side with the rest of the harness and just followed the harness along the body and dropped it down to its destination (PWS Speaker) View attachment 41036 Once you attach the connector the positive wire should be on the left of the connector with the label of the speaker facing up and looking at the back (wire side) of the connector with the clip facing up. At this point you still will not have a working speaker or Boombox But you can do a soft reboot (hold scroll wheels) and the speaker will function for forward and reverse noises after the car boots (this lets you know your install was successful) But the car will revert back to it not working after the car goes into a deep sleep. At this point you will need to get a service tech to make the change for you, I already had a mobile service appointment for other things so I just asked the tech when he came to enable it for me. After showing the service technician (he just looked at the speaker to verify it was there and plugged in) he changed my configuration to enable the speaker. View attachment 41035 aaaaand....... It works. Megaphone also works in the Tesla app. Just to note I was originally worried that it would revert back after a software update but I installed an update last week and it is still activated and has been working great.
Is there an invoice that you could provide to show so that Tesla will believe me that it’s a software configuration. I get getting denied yet speaker works and is present!

· Registered
3 Posts
Ok for anyone out there with a Pre-July 19' Model 3 that wants Boombox this is how I got mine installed and activated.

I'm not responsible for damage you may cause installing this or Voided Warranty. Make sure your car is fully powered down before attempting this install (via 12v and high voltage disconnect)

There are some things you need to look for on your car also such as if you have the wires under the dash to connect to and if your car has the speaker grille under the right front of the lower splash guard. If you have these 2 things then you need a Tesla service tech to toggle the configuration change I found mobile service tech. was happy to do this for me thankfully, however your results may vary.

The parts needed to install this are:

Tesla Pedestrian Warning Speaker : # 1299965-00-A (I paid $55.00 from Tesla)

Screws to attach the Speaker :
# 1128091-00-B (x3)

Connector for Pedestrian Speaker : # PT3703 Pigtail (GM Part Number)

Enough wire to run from RF Kick Panel to Front Bumper Area

View attachment 41033
First you have to find the wires from the MCU that were supposed to power the speaker and easily located them under the
passenger side kick panel in a twisted pair going to a connector higher up under the dash

View attachment 41034
as you can see my harness was built February of 2019 putting it well below the cut off for native Boombox/speaker install per Tesla.

View attachment 41030
I installed Taps to splice the wires needed you can use any method you would like just be sure they are insulted from each other and can't short

View attachment 41031
The twisted gray and white wires are the wires for PWS my harness had these all the way up to a connector then stopped there.

Note : the white wire is positive and gray is negative

View attachment 41032
The black connector the wires stop at.

View attachment 41038 View attachment 41039 View attachment 41037
Once I had tapped the wires I carefully ran them through the rubber grommet and inside a wire loom on the passenger side with the rest of the harness and just followed the harness along the body and dropped it down to its destination (PWS Speaker)

View attachment 41036
Once you attach the connector the positive wire should be on the left of the connector with the label of the speaker facing up and looking at the back (wire side) of the connector with the clip facing up.

At this point you still will not have a working speaker or Boombox But you can do a soft reboot (hold scroll wheels) and the speaker will function for forward and reverse noises after the car boots (this lets you know your install was successful)

But the car will revert back to it not working after the car goes into a deep sleep. At this point you will need to get a service tech to make the change for you, I already had a mobile service appointment for other things so I just asked the tech when he came to enable it for me.

After showing the service technician (he just looked at the speaker to verify it was there and plugged in) he changed my configuration to enable the speaker.

View attachment 41035

aaaaand....... It works. Megaphone also works in the Tesla app.

Just to note I was originally worried that it would revert back after a software update but I installed an update last week and it is still activated and has been working great.
can you provide me with an invoice from tesla for the boombox configuration showing you where and when they did it? I keep getting denied. Yet the speaker is there hooked up and working! I even said I’ll pay and that’s throwing money at them and they don’t want it. LOL

61 - 65 of 65 Posts